Head of Video
59 Productions is an award-winning design studio and production company based in London and New York.
Our focus is on ‘story driven design’ – finding new ways of telling amazing stories through innovative design.
Our team of artists, architects, designers, writers, producers and technologists have helped create countless
exciting and diverse cultural moments around the world: the video design of the Opening Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games, the design and creative direction of the record-breaking David Bowie Is exhibition, the design of the historic project-mapping artwork on the Washington Monument for Apollo 50 – Go for the Moon, the design and delivery of the VR Documentary Grenfell: Our Home and projects of ‘total design’ in which auditorium, stage and creative concept come together in productions such as Manchester International Festival’s Invisible Cities.
From architectural projection mapping to exhibition design; from VR experiences to events; from stage design to artistic installations, 59’s exceptional team uses design to tell memorable stories. We want you to be part of our team.
Like many other organisations, we are considering with renewed focus what Diversity means to us. What may have been acceptable a short time ago is not sufficient for the future, so we are dedicating a lot of time and resources to creating a workplace where everyone feels valued and respected, especially those who are often excluded or underrepresented. We know from experience when we have people from diverse demographics, diverse mindsets and diverse experiences, we create better work. We also know that we have a long way to go to get this right, or at the very least to make it considerably better, but we are trying. Whoever comes into this role would need to be a part of that journey and contribute to creating a better company.
So, if you feel that you do not see yourself represented either in the cultural sector or in this particular professional area because of any part of your identity that makes you special, we would especially like to hear from you.
We are searching for a proactive and enthusiastic Art Director/Senior Video Designer to join our existing team. A person who can take projects from brief through to production, conceiving and presenting a clear and inspiring design response, then leading a creative team through the complex process of production and delivery. This may well not have been your career path to date but if you have an instinct that you can contribute at a high level to the projects we make then please do apply. In this role, you would lead the design and animation of high profile and distinctive shows, working with an exceptional team of designers, directors, architects, artists, composers and technicians.
A successful candidate will see their work presented on a world stage, often at huge scale and amidst a blaze of international publicity. It is a job that will reward the most talented, ambitious and creative artist with ample opportunity to develop work with world-leading collaborators and high-profile clients.
In this leadership role, and as a core member of the senior design team, you will take a positive approach in helping to guide the professional and creative development of 59’s wider design team as we take a collaborative approach to continually developing our shared practice, and being responsible for creating an inclusive culture within the organisation and our work.
- A highly motivated design professional with at least 2 years of experience leading design and animation projects (and further years of relevant industry experience)
- An exceptional visual designer and animator, with 2d and 3d skills
- A gifted storyteller who understands the importance of Story Driven Design and can deliver this in all phases of a project
- An inspiring leader of artistic teams, with engaging communication skills and a keen interest to collaborate effectively across departments and disciplines
- A passionate presenter, effective at delivering creative and design ideas and enthusing clients and stakeholders
- A demonstrable interest in live performance and public art projects, and working closely with music and musicians
- An individual who works to encourage the best from those around them
- Experience in leading and inspiring teams in a design & animation environment
- Experience at a high level in the industry, or the ability to demonstrate exceptional ability in the areas we’re looking for
- Excellent skills in Adobe Creative suite
- Experience working with 2d and 3d animation teams
- Confident and engaging communication skills
- Something else that you possess that we have not even considered and could deliver this role even more exceptionally
Direct Reports: Designers and Assistant Designers in the Video Department
Works with: Project Directors, Senior Video Designers, Senior Architects, Studio Manager, Freelance Animators, Video Designers, Assistant Video Designers, Architectural Designers and the wider company. Also works closely with clients and external collaborators.
Application Deadline: 23 January 2022 at 6pm
First Interviews: 1 February 2022 via remote video call (question ‘areas’ will be circulated in advance)
Second Interviews: 7 February 2022 via remote video call (question ‘areas’ will be circulated in advance)
If you have any extenuating reason why these dates are not possible for you, please let us know and we will do our best to accommodate if we can.