Graphic and Motion Designer
Graphic and Motion Designer
We’re on a mission to level the playing field when it comes to young people finding and applying for their next step after school. We're achieving this by bringing all the available information into one single, impartial, user-friendly platform that helps students to make the best choices, and submit the strongest applications. We also empower teachers and counselors to manage the progression process effectively.
Our outlook is global - we work with schools and universities all over the world, from the US to New Zealand, and from Italy to Hong Kong. We want to make it so that young people can compare every opportunity taught in English, wherever it is in the world, and have all the support they need to make successful applications.
We have a clear social purpose, and we’re hugely ambitious. We already work with more than a third of UK secondary schools and hundreds of international schools. We are growing rapidly in terms of the number of our customers, in terms of how much they use our platform, and in terms of the breadth of products we offer.
Our team is at the heart of our business and is integral to our success. We work hard to foster a culture of openness, happiness and innovation, and we commit to helping every individual learn and grow so that they can reach their full potential. We want to hire talented people, whatever their background. If you are excited by our mission and are ready to work hard, please don’t hesitate to apply. We look forward to hearing from you!
We believe in the power of diversity. If you are from an ethnic minority background, we strongly encourage you to apply. In advance of applying if you have any questions about working at Unifrog, please contact our UK Diversity Champion, Samar (visit our website for details).
Design at Unifrog
Whether we are communicating through images, video or text, we always try to be straightforward, honest, and to show respect for the other person. We communicate like this with each other and with people outside of Unifrog.
Clear communication is particularly important for us because our mission is to level the playing field when it comes to access to opportunities, and a big part of this effort is fair and straightforward access to information. It’s also important for us to be fun, while not talking down to young people.
We have developed Unifrog’s strong visual identity without having an in-house graphic or motion designer, but we have now grown to the size where we need someone to take charge of a long list of planned design projects. These projects relate to many different tools within the Unifrog platform, as well as to marketing and sales – and we can’t wait for you to get stuck in.
You’ll be working with non-designers on the team to deliver design projects. Here are examples of some design projects we’ve done in the past:
● Motion graphics for a short, partly animated video introducing Unifrog to teachers at our partner schools.
● Cartoon frogs to illustrate each of the 16 MBTI personality types (eg the ‘ESTJ – Wood frog: Loyal individuals who get things done and love organising activities with their friends’; check it out here)
● Posters for classroom teachers which illustrate the careers that people commonly progress to having studied particular subjects at university or on an apprenticeship;
● Fun scenes of Unifrog frogs doing everyday activities (eg water-skiing, attending a protest), which we use at the top of a newsletter that we send teachers at our partner schools;
● Infographics to illustrate the ‘Insight reports’ we publish on our website, showing how different sorts of students use the Unifrog platform;
● A flyer aimed at students in international schools for a webinar about going to university in Australia.
You’ll work in our existing content team, which consists of very talented content writers and video producers. When you’re delivering particular design projects, you’ll work with people on our marketing, data analysis and strategy teams.
You’ll be line-managed by the Senior Content Creator and Editor.
Skills and characteristics
● Graphic design
You need to be hugely talented at using software like Photoshop to create graphic designs within our existing visual identity that: communicate straightforwardly, are fun, and make lots of use of the Unifrog frog.
● Motion design
Experienced using software such as After Effects to design motion graphics for videos. You’ll create logo animations, text animations, video overlay elements and transitions for our video editors to use. Experience animating your own illustrations would be an extra bonus.
We want you to come up with great new ideas. You’ll often need to think of fun ways to visually express complicated messages or data.
● Attention to detail
You’ll need to be able to finish your work to an excellent standard before getting feedback from your colleagues.
● Ability to work both in a team and independently
You’ll always be working on projects with other people so you need to be an excellent communicator and team player. On all your projects there will also be times when you need to take initiative and motivate yourself. At least to start with you will be the only designer, so you need to be a strong voice in the team.
● Working to deadlines
We have a long list of projects to get done, and many of them have strict deadlines. You’ll need to be able to deliver things on time.
● Play a key role in democratising access to information that can positively impact young people’s lives, and get your work in front of 200,000+ people every week.
● Become part of a committed, dynamic and growing team. We want to build our team for the long term – if you do well, we will do our best to make sure you want to stay at the company for a long time.
● Professional development is important at Unifrog. You will define your 6-month objectives and will be supported by your line manager and the rest of the team to achieve them. You will have an annual training allowance to spend on what you need to grow and progress.
● Influence the company’s direction: we love to promote great ideas, wherever they come from.
● For details of further benefits we offer our staff, please see the jobs page of our website.
● £33,000 rising to £35,000 six months from the start date, dependent on performance. Salary reviews annually from then onwards.
● Share in the company-wide performance bonus.
● Work remotely, or flexibly in our London office.
● 28 days paid holiday per year.
● Start date: as soon as possible, though we will be flexible for the right candidate.
● To discuss any details about the role before applying please contact Stephen (visit our website for details).
Inclusion and diversity at Unifrog
Within the company we try to foster a culture of innovation, and a happy working environment, both because this is the right thing to do, and because we think this results in the most effective team. To this end we believe in open communication, celebrating successes, supporting each other, not being afraid to be wrong or to fail, and promoting good ideas wherever they come from. We also believe in the power of diversity in all its forms, including in terms of culture, education history, religion, age, socio-economic background, race, gender, sexual orientation, personality, life experiences and disability. We want to encourage applicants from every different background to apply for our roles, and to add their perspectives to our team.
● Deadline: 18:00 (UK) on 12 November 2021
● To apply, please visit our website to:
i. Upload your CV
ii. Give us a link (WeTransfer, Dropbox, Google Drive or similar) to:
iii. 2 examples of your best graphic design work
iv. 2 examples of your best motion design work iii. Give us a link to your showreel if you have one; iv. Write an answer to the question, ‘Why do you want to work at Unifrog?’ (250 words);
● Next application round, we will share with you examples of our visual style, and you will have a week to:
i. Improve a poster aimed at students that we’ll give you;
ii. Create a simple motion graphic to go with a short video that we’ll give you.
● Final interviews will be held by Zoom, w/c 22 November 2021.