Junior Product Designer
The Great Little Trading Company is looking to grow their design team. We are looking for a Junior Product Designer who can work across both 3D design and surface artwork design. The successful applicant will work alongside the Design manager and Buying team, designing products including Children’s Furniture, Home Accessories, Textiles and Toys.
Who we are:
Founded in 1996, Great Little Trading Co. (GLTC) is an award-winning, online retailer that provides a range of classic toys, storage, and children’s furniture loved by parents and children alike. As a small, independent business we are passionate about designing and creating genuinely useful products to make family life easier.
Based in Wandsworth, our small team of less than 25 people consists of a marketing team and a buying and merchandising team, including our own in-house Product Designers and Product Technician. As a small company we rely upon passionate people who have a genuine love of the product we create and an enthusiasm for the brand as well as their career field. We value teamwork, self-motivation, and kind, friendly personalities, as an equal opportunities employer we celebrate diversity and inclusion in our team. No matter what your position is, at GLTC everyone has the opportunity to make a difference.
What You’ll be Doing:
- Working with the design manager in the creation of new product concepts in line with brand strategy, covering Toys, Furniture, Home Accessories and textiles. With time the role will take ownership of part of the product range and the design of product under the direction of the design manager.
- Independently creating high quality and accurate technical drawings and print ready artwork to send to suppliers.
- Creating 3D models to test product concepts and prove design suitability.
- Creating product instructions and packaging designs as necessary.
- Constantly and independently researching relevant retail, product and colour trends. Compiling this information for review and using it to propose new product ideas and identifying new opportunities.
- Administrative design related tasks, filing artwork, project tracking etc.
Key Skills Required:
- A related degree such as Product / Furniture / 3D Design
- A minimum of 3 years work experience in a design role where you can demonstrate examples of developing a design from initial idea to actual product.
- Excellent CAD skills, including Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign and 3D modelling.
- Experience of Fusion 360 would be beneficial but not essential.
- Experience of creating accurate specification drawings / product design briefs, ready to send to factories for sampling.
- Strong 3D design skills, but comfortable working on graphic design / 2D design tasks as well.
- Strong time management skills, able to meet deadlines whilst having the ability to adapt to changing priorities
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent attention to detail
- Possess a flexible working approach; be proactive and willing to contribute wherever required.
This is a fantastic opportunity to further your design career by working for an award-winning brand, across a wide range of product areas in a fast paced, retail head office where you will be fully involved from day one. If this sounds of interest, please send a CV and 5-page portfolio, selecting the examples of your work that should clearly show your creative process as well as your CAD skills. Portfolio should be saved as PDF and not exceed 5MB.
Applicants must be eligible to work in the UK.
Please note that due to the high level of applications we are expecting, only successful contacts will be contacted.
Strictly no agencies please.