Print Production Packaging Specialist
Ellison is widely recognized as a global market leader in the DIY arts and crafts marketplace, with the company designing, manufacturing and distributing the finest quality die-cutting machines and products to the creative industry. Ellison’s innovative designs empower users to cut, embellish and create extraordinary projects from a variety of materials, which can be used in the home, the classroom or for gifts and self-expression of any kind.
Since 1977, Ellison has been a hallmark product in the classroom and continues to be a trusted favourite with teachers and educators. In 2001, Ellison launched Sizzix, a global brand focused on providing inspirational products for the creative community, whether they enjoy upcycling, home décor, sewing or paper crafting. In addition to their die-cutting equipment, Sizzix also offers a wide variety of making essentials and tools which complement any creative pursuits. These include cardstock, fabric, felt, a glue gun and a paper sculpting kit. The extensive Sizzix product collections provide their community with everything needed to build their creative lifestyles.
Ellison itself is a global company with its America and Canada office located in Lake Forest, California and its European and Rest of World (ROW) office located in Wrexham, UK. Ellison also has manufacturing facilities and operations in China. The majority of Ellison’s customers are Business-to-Business (B2B) retailers and distributors who purchase, stock and resell their products to end-users. In addition, Ellison also sell Business-to-Consumer (B2C) direct to schools and consumers via their branded websites and catalogues, or at select creative tradeshows and events. Ellison’s mission is to continue to grow its market leadership position with uncompromising quality, innovative design and inspiring, award-winning products that continue to inspire the creative community.
We are now seeking an ambitious and creative Packaging Design Engineer who can lead the product packaging design process from beginning to end. This is a new role within Ellison and you will be responsible for ensuring the coordination of design suitability, selection of materials, testing and cost effectiveness of both our sales and master carton packaging designs. You will take full accountability for deploying packaging innovation, efficiency and sustainability initiatives as well as developing and implementing the packaging process. Working with internal and external stakeholders you will thrive on new challenges, willing to think and work in new ways, able to present and articulate concepts clearly, communicate positively, and debate with peers and influence various partners. Your duties will include some or all of the following
You, The candidate should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Proven experience working in a Senior Packaging Design role
- Demonstrate multiple successful solutions
- Considerable experience in FMCG packaging
- Considerable experience in CAD software
- Worked with international suppliers
- Packaging solutions approved to international standards
- Familiar working cross-culturally or in a global environment
Do you consider yourself to have the below
Responsibilities/Duties/Functions/Tasks: Includes but not limited to:
- Design the packaging for the craft products manufactured by Ellison to ensure optimal costing and maximise customer appeal
- Ensure production of samples and/or graphic mock-ups for production approval.
- Build and maintain good relations with suppliers and stakeholders
- Work with creative team and product development to identify packaging requirements
- Identify cost and marketing parameters to track and report on
- Work with manufacturers/packagers to identify all packaging options and created a database reference of our packaging material capabilities.
- Develop an SOP for packaging creation from conception to completion.
- Present designs to stakeholders using sketches and design software.
- Research materials (carton, plastic, Bio-Degradable etc) and identify suitable new materials to support innovation within new product development,
- Deep understanding of sustainable and innovative packaging solutions within the sector
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet tight deadlines
- Flexible outlook with a solution-orientated approach and able to prioritise multiple projects
- Excellent interpersonal skills – can communicate concisely and confidently at all levels
- A collaborative approach
- Familiarity with different packaging materials and always up to speed on new packaging trends/capabilities.
- Ability to bring ideas to the table to create savings through increased efficiencies
- Knowledge of artwork/repro/print/production/finishing processes
- A degree in either product design, industrial design, materials science, mechanical engineering and/or multiple years in a packaging design / print role
- Work experience in the Arts and Crafts industry, preferred
Why join our Team:
Employee assistance programme
Office perks – Ice cream van/burger visit, Graze care packages
Employee Communications forum
Modern and creative office space – Beanbags
Open, honest yet supportive culture – we thrive on innovation
22 days holidays – increasing with length of service
Development opportunities and attractive succession
Wellbeing programme and support through MHFA