PR Account Director - Healthcare
Our client is a global, award-winning health communications and public relations agency in London. They are seeking an Account Director (OR very experienced Senior Account Manager ready for the step up) to join their team.
About the Account Director role
The Account Director will foster strong client-agency relationships by building trust, acting as a valuable resource, and fostering effective teamwork across the account team. They will show ownership and accountability for all projects with a focus on high quality on-strategy delivery, will manage and address challenges using knowledge and creativity, and continually strive to push boundaries to produce campaign that deliver on human impact. They will make a significant contribution to new business efforts and understand how to manage budgets to help meet business needs, adhering to client and agency procedures.
Core responsibilities of the PR Account Director:
Managing projects to deliver high quality, on-strategy campaigns
- Manage one or more large accounts as the strategic lead; fostering client-agency relationship to build trust, manage expectations and serve as a valuable resource to clients.
- Respond to client concerns with thoughtful strategic guidance on a timely basis, demonstrating commitment and an ability to troubleshoot problems as they arise.
- Drive strategic development of multiple accounts/programmes and demonstrate an ability to multi-task to drive an account forward, overseeing course of action to complete assignments within project deadlines, on-strategy and with high quality deliverables.
- Show firm knowledge of all communications techniques for a range of audiences (such as internal, external, consumer, social, medical, scientific, media, political).
- Oversee the execution of media strategies, being fully competent in using traditional, digital and social media techniques, either earned or paid-for, in client assignments and discussing ROI tools.
- Ensure all recommendations meet client guidelines and adhere to material review/approval practices; while not actively involved, understand client review platform (such as Zinc, Adobe).
- Demonstrate an ability to apply strong writing and verbal skills to all projects, providing thoughtful editorial guidance to account team and taking responsibility for overall quality.
- Oversee event planning and implementation, serving as a resource for junior colleagues as needed; attend large-scale events to serve as agency lead on-site.
- Manage staff allocation/time management on accounts, overseeing team workloads to address issues of under or over capacity.
- Communicate effectively in all written and verbal communications; act as a good role model and instil the importance of overall quality in junior colleagues.
Delivering innovative and creative thinking
- Drive process of determining creative solutions to client problems, initiating and leading brainstorms and tapping into internal colleagues based on areas of expertise, when needed.
- Demonstrate expertise and champion innovative thinking and continued learning in one or more key areas (for example, media, politics, social media or a particular therapy area).
- Participate in and lead webinars and lunch and learns for junior colleagues, staying current on new trends and techniques that have relevance to work.
- Encourage the development of new products, services and offerings for the agency.
Working with clients and colleagues
- Build and maintain strong relationships and provide a high level of service to multiple clients, external groups and stakeholders (such as journalists, vendors and advocacy groups).
- Develop account goals and strategy; offer strategic guidance to clients, anticipate and address client needs; attend high-level client meetings.
- Demonstrate a full understanding of strategic media approaches, providing thoughtful guidance to account/media teams and client in developing recommendations.
- Be approachable and open-minded to constructive feedback; provide suggestions to senior colleagues and act as a positive role model for all junior colleagues.
- Effectively manage account teams with colleagues of varying levels and guide their professional growth; oversee performance review process of junior colleagues on a timely basis, address HR issues when necessary.
Contributing to new business and financial success
- Understand the company vision, policies and procedures, services and capabilities, and be able to select examples showcasing our work to current and potential clients.
- Input into strategy for new business development; lead on new business proposal development and presentations with advice and support from senior colleagues.
- Help drive agency “bigger picture” and understand how large and small accounts fit into the agency’s wider strategy.
- Manage account finances including budget allocation, invoicing and purchase orders; ensure team billability and account profitability; develop year-long/multi-year statements of works/budgets; and flagging issues proactively to senior colleagues.
- Understand general pricing around all aspects of PR/communications and accurately develop estimates based on knowledge.
- Offer guidance in “big picture” strategic level thinking for all accounts, internally and externally.
- Demonstrate year-on-year organic growth for existing accounts and actively seek new business opportunities for the agency.
Essential skills and knowledge of the PR Account Director
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to multi-task and work under pressure and use own initiative.
- Excellent knowledge of the ABPI and EFPIA codes and implications for media and advocacy focused campaigns.
- Solid understanding of European/ UK media and social media platforms within the healthcare environments.
- Knowledge and experience in developing campaigns that utilise a mixture of paid, owned and earned channels.
- Experience in creating and executing engaging media and advocacy focused events.
- Excellent people management skills.
- Ability to manage a budget.
Ambitious, creative, honest, flexible, strong leader, good team player, self-aware, robust.