Digital Product Designer
As one 3rd of the Product organisation, we are a team made up of 3 UX researchers, 7 Digital Product Designers, 2 Design leads, a Head of UX and Director of Experience.
Driven by a balanced combination of data, research, expertise & creativity alongside an unrelenting curiosity. We translate business strategy and customer needs into powerful experiences across the platforms and devices people use every day. Our team culture is open and honest, built on a foundation of radical candour, with collaboration at the heart of it.
ABOUT THE ROLE
FutureLearn’s purpose is to transform access to education and we're looking for an enthusiastic and talented product designer to join our growing team and help us achieve this. You'll be joining the talented and experienced UX, Research & Design team, within this award winning Ed Tech scale up and working in a dynamic, agile mixed-discipline environment. This is a great opportunity for someone looking to grow their skills while working on something that has a positive impact in a changing world.
You will be working within one of our product teams alongside product managers, designers, researchers and developers. While also working with other stakeholders to understand project requirements and create forward-thinking solutions that push boundaries and deliver successful outcomes for our users.
You will help to drive the user experience, interaction and visual design throughout the entire project lifecycle from initial idea generation and sketches through user flows and wireframes to help deliver visually rich, inspiringly simple and easy-to-use experiences that enhance our brand. You will conduct simple user research and testing of your designs with users, with guidance from the user researchers in our team, the results of which will be integrated into your design process.
You will be comfortable designing within the framework of the FutureLearn Design System (see design-system.futurelearn.com) becoming an active participant in evolving and developing it. We will expect you to present your work, with your team, at sprint reviews, design critique and other situations, to groups of people, taking on feedback and adjusting designs as required. In addition, you will actively contribute to other discussions about the product, championing the user experience and FutureLearn brand at all times while demonstrating the following competencies in line with our values;
- Collaboration: The ability to collaborate with others in a team.
- Communication: The ability to explain things in a clear and non-judgmental way.
- Initiative: The ability to explore and propose solutions without being prompted.
- Curiosity: The ability and desire to learn and understand.
- Design: Ability to demonstrate a solid level of design skills.
· A designer with a good understanding of user experience and digital product design. Ideally holding a degree in design, with relevant industry experience.
· Your work will show a strong visual flair, with a portfolio full of fresh ideas, and a solid design aesthetic and demonstrate the ability to work within brand guidelines, always showing a keen attention to detail.
· Super passionate about creating experiences that appeal to users, whilst understanding the need to balance this with business requirements.
· Obsessed with the details of the user experience, and have the ability to simplify complex problems into an easy-to-use experience.
· A great communicator, with the ability to get your ideas across through a range of styles, tools or techniques as appropriate, whilst also accepting specific direction and being flexible to changes.
· Adept at working collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team, being flexible to changes and specific direction, whilst maintaining a positive attitude.
· Strong awareness of current UX and design trends, techniques and patterns, finding ways to introduce and utilise them in your work when appropriate.
· You will love what you do, be committed to creating excellent work, showing motivation and energy to complete the tasks to the best of your ability, and developing your skills at every opportunity.
Please use our online form by pressing 'Apply for this job' below, including your CV and a cover letter telling us why you'd like to come work with us. Don’t forget to include your salary expectations.
This role will be fully remote whilst FutureLearn's office in Camden is closed.
Closing date for applications will be the 15th October
We can't wait to meet you!
We believe diversity matters and want to create an environment where that diversity can flourish. We encourage everyone to bring their whole self to work, regardless of gender, age, sexual orientation, race or disability.
We encourage freelancers and people who have been made redundant as a result of COVID-19 to apply for opportunities at FutureLearn. We believe that in these difficult times, good employers have to rise to the occasion and play their part in the community. At FutureLearn, we take care of each other.