Senior Technical Designer
An incredibly creative and friendly studio based in east London are looking for a senior technical designer or draughtsperson to join them and work on eye-catching window and retail displays.
The studio specialises in concept, design and fabrication for retail environments. Projects range from global window roll-outs to pop-up shops & show-stopping bespoke displays.
- Overseeing/advising on all work at the studio giving technical/construction advice and solving problems.
- Bridging the gap between creative design and fabrication.
- Producing technical drawings, CAD/CAM files for CAD/CAM processes.
- Solving technical problems, specifying materials fixings and manufacturing techniques.
- Helping to deliver fully resolved technical/construction drawings to both the in-house construction team and outsourced specialist contractors.
- Managing juniors/freelancers when required.
- Working closely with project managers on budgets and costings for entire project to make sure technical and creative integrity is maintained.
- Being part of a handful of people in the company who oversee quality control on production jobs.
- Liaising with suppliers, clients and project managers to ensure projects are well communicated and on-track when required.
Skills & Experience
- A minimum of 3 years technical design experience preferably within the retail display/shop-fitting or exhibition/events or staging industry.
- An expert knowledge of CAD Software. Rhinoceros 3D would be the ideal.
- Experience in creating 3D models
- Significant experience in creating and reading construction drawings quickly and to a high standard.
- Expert knowledge of CNC processes and how to create drawings for them.
- An active interest in all areas of design, with experience and knowledge in a variety of different design practices.
- An excellent understanding of fabrication, materials and assembly processes.
- Experience in a fast-paced workshop environment - preferably some hands-on workshop experience.
- Expert understanding of carpentry & joinery techniques.
- Great attention to detail.
- Good knowledge & experience of metalwork techniques.
- Broad understanding of other construction/model making/prop-making processes as well as print would be a bonus.
- Ability to accurately site survey and produce work to a high level of accuracy and tolerance.