Packaging artworker role
We are looking for an enthusiastic Artworker to join an amazing top 10 client in London. As well as working closely with the rest of the artwork team, the Artworker will collaborate with the designers, account management and the wider production team.
The key purpose of the Artworker role is as follows:
- Actively encourage the close-knit working of the artwork team, to deliver great design work through the detailed production of high quality artwork.
- Demonstrate a strong level of technical skills/creative understanding, flexibility (multiple projects) and interpersonal skills to deal with the multitude of requests.
- Confidently creating artworks to the highest standards, whilst accommodating creative needs and production requirements.
- Knowing how to approach any job in order to break the work down to the most efficient way to create the whole artwork.
- Taking into consideration the priorities and hierarchy of the design intention.
Responsibilities of the Artworker:
- Prepare full artworks from design work supplied, using cutter guides supplied or creating new technically considered cutter guides
- Liaison with Account Management to establish the requirement of the client in terms of artwork specifics
- Liaison with Production to establish the best and most effective way to set up the artwork files required
- Continued exploration of major software programmes (Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign) to understand and formulate best practices
Specific Capabilities For The Artworker role:
- Hold a detailed understanding of brands core values and is a brand guardian of its assets and design elements, for the wider business
- Understand how the brand is taken through to its physical production and demonstrates how to use that understanding to benefit the brand
- Understand the client's print production processes, technical capabilities and print process challenges and is able to demonstrate that understanding in terms of how these will affect the design intent
- Always strive for consistency in the delivery of the brand detail
- Mentor and support the team to build their brand knowledge, technical insights and understanding of how to liberate creative execution
- Demonstrate design empathy through understanding and clearly articulating what the design team want to achieve in order to enable successful translation of the design idea into artwork
- Constantly push for the implementation of outstanding creative work through crafting and attention to detail
- Bring and encourage creative ideas to the design team in order to enable them to think constructively about how the detail of the design will be artworked
- Simply explain technical realities and sees them as positive challenges, and develops a communication style that brings this to life for the Design team
- Encourage the team to think creatively about problem solving the design details
- Consider the printing constraints and provide solutions and/or alternatives without drastically affecting the design.
- Understand and be able to clearly explain the complexities of what can be achieved with each print process and the limitations and challenges of each
- Think creatively about solving design challenges within the print constraints and technical realities of the clients print production capabilities
- Constructively challenge, support and provide solutions to the design team to achieve the best design result
- Actively seek out latest technology, thinking and trends in printing, colour management, software and design to suggest future proofed ideas and remain at the forefront of innovation
- Develop specialist skills and utilises those skills to deliver the best solutions for clients
- Build and share a technical expertise across wider creative platforms, eg. Books, brand world, e-commerce
- Have an appreciation of the complexities within the clients business to deliver new products to market (supply chain, packaging origination, procurement etc.) so that there is an understanding of the need to be flexible in delivery.
- Anticipate potential problems and offers constructive solutions to the relevant team
- Hold the knowledge and ability to adapt the approach to artwork requirements depending on situation or client
- Clearly communicate the restrictions and complexities for a print or manufacturing process and recommends suitable solutions
- Clearly articulate and share the technical set up of the artwork files to ensure consistency
- Support and advise Account Management and Design teams through listening actively and openly, and asking the right questions to ensure the design intention is not lost, or steered too far away from the brand identity
Desired Skills and Experience of the Artworker:
- 2 + years artworking experience
- Strong technical knowledge
- Experience in packaging artwork