Head of Design
Our client, an independent award winning agency are on the look-out for an experienced, ambitious and talented Head of Design who is looking to take the next step in their career in joining a friendly, exciting and creative team.
They are a creative experiences and brand activation agency, which are hugely successful, based in Greater London.
They are open to candidates who are already a Head of Design or a Senior Designer with enough experience under their belt and ready for the step up to Head of Design.
Our ideal candidate for the Head of Design position:
- Someone who loves Design. Who can absorb all different styles from street to luxury.
- They make the complicated simple. They turn heads and engage brains.
- They’re smart, they know about customers and clients and consumer journeys and how to link it all together.
- They’ll inspire and astound us with fresh designs and swerve the clichés.
- Their work looks incredible in any dimension 2D, 3D, digital and virtual.
- They love the details and can pore over kerning, but can equally smash something out when time is tight.
- They’ll treat every brief with gusto be it incontinence liners (not a current client) or a global Amazon campaign. They’ll never settle for ‘that will do’
- They consume popular culture voraciously, shopping, food, fashion, box sets, movies…
- They won’t be over precious or pretentious but they’ll fight their own corner. It’s business not art
- They are infinitely curious. They may not know it all, but they’ll want to learn.
- Enthusiasm will radiate from them. People will be drawn to them.
There are several networked offices around the world: Sydney, Melbourne, New Zealand, Dubai, New York, Ireland and most recently Singapore. And it is a genuine network with sharing resources, people and process.
London is the home of the network and the biggest number of staff. There’s also a degree of movement between the offices. We’ve just taken on an GAD from our Dubai office for example and have and account handler in Sydney for a years secondment.
What are we looking for in the Head of Design?
We believe a person’s qualities are as important as their experience. The correct skills are key but we also recruit on DNA - having the right attitude, ambitions and outlook are crucial attributes.
We have a strong team culture and look for our members to embody the same behaviours as the senior management team;
- Straight talking, firm, fair and fun - we are a team that considers and respects those around us
- Pro-active, self-starters who are flexible and calm in a fast paced, ever changing environment
- Confident, challenging and curious, always looking to add value and do better (high expectations of oneself).
I envisage the ideal candidate would have worked agency side and worked through the ranks. Potentially this role being a chance to flex all they’ve learned and run a small team and build it.
Roles and responsibilities of the Head of Design:
- Proficient with creative cloud
- Great communication, negotiations, and presentations skills, both verbal and written
- Passion for design platforms, i.e. interactive design, mobile, and touch-screen
- Demonstrated ability to take projects from initial stage to delivery of final product
- Extreme attention to details
- Smart, self motivated, articulate, diplomatic, approachable, confident, passionate and fun
- Ability to be current with the latest trends of visual influencers across the entertainment and tech industries
- Come up with design concepts that fit the client's needs and objectives
- Understand the environment that designs will be printed / placed and in order to best inform designs
- Think creatively and be proactive in suggesting specialist treatments and materials to make design thinking best in class
- Create final designs, working to a deadline and budget. Great attention to details
- Craft pitch documents and sell / present creative ideas to clients
- Meet with new and innovative suppliers of creative services and marketing media to inspire fresh thinking within the agency
- Positively represent the creative team internally and externally. Be the lead ‘go to’ person for all creative services, continuously strive for exceptional creative output worthy of industry acclaim
- Win design awards ( in time)
- HR management of design & artwork team, including appraisals, training and development and team motivation
- 25 days holiday
- Child care voucher scheme
- Life insurance (opt in)
- Pension contribution
- Weekly team drinks – thirsty Thursday
- Employee of the month rewards