Division: Strategy & Competition
The Role: The Design team is part of the FCA’s Editorial and Digital team which are part of the Communications Division. The team’s role is to ensure that we communicate in a clear, concise and constructive way. The Design team is responsible for the design of content for the FCA, which spans the FCA website, social media, branding and publications in a range of formats.
What does the role involve? What are the key responsibilities?
- This is a great role if you want to use your graphic design, typography and animation skills
- Working as part of a small, busy design team to deliver innovative and intuitive graphic design solutions that will increase the impact of the FCA’s communications
- Developing and maintaining the look and feel of a suite of channels (print and digital)
- Responsible for applying and safeguarding our brand identity across a range of assets and projects
- Being involved in the delivery of a variety of products, for example: corporate documents; infographics; animated gifs, motion design; communications campaigns, website/social media banners and design, exhibition display material, event collateral, creating graphs/charts and corporate identity templates
- Taking clear design briefs, developing storyboards, creating concepts which are visual, engaging, targeted to the audience and which use our brand effectively
- Acting as an accessibility ambassador, making sure collateral conforms to accessibility best practice
- Providing recommendations for concepts and persuasive reasoning to support our creative decisions
- Providing technical support, advice and problem solving to colleagues about design and production topics
- Building relationships with specialist external suppliers and technical delivery teams including typesetters, designers and printers
- Working as part of a larger editorial and digital department supporting colleagues and taking an interest in the wider communications division
What will the candidate get from the role?
This role offers the opportunity to work in a fast-paced environment, delivering high quality work that engages our audiences across a range of platforms. You will be a brand guardian, working with many people from across the organisation, helping them to deliver their content in the most effective and inspiring way. Your workload will be varied, and you will have the opportunity to further develop your skills through training opportunities and working with experienced graphic designers and content teams.
We're a signatory to the Government's Disability Confident scheme. This means that we guarantee an interview to any disabled candidates entering under the scheme, should they meet the minimum criteria for a role. A minimum criterion needs to be measurable from reviewing a candidates CV.
- Relevant experience of working in a similar role and a portfolio of design examples
- Experience of working with brand guidelines and typesetting documents
- Advanced software skills in Adobe Creative Suite, including: InDesign; Illustrator; Photoshop and Acrobat
- A solid grasp of graphic design, typography, visual communications and design strategy (with portfolio evidence)
- Experienced in motion design using After Effects or similar software
- Confident using Microsoft Office: Word; Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent organisation and planning skills. Able to work to deadlines, often balancing competing workloads, while maintaining high standards
- Understanding project briefs and being able to design and deliver communications in line with the agreed approach
- Excellent attention to detail
- Confident dealing with stakeholders
- Experience of working in a corporate organisation, producing corporate communications
- Able to provide design advice to non-technical teams and able to work collaboratively with internal stakeholders on coming up with the right solution for the audience
- Good judgement, curiosity and proactive; not afraid to get involved with work that may not necessarily be in the usual remit to help broaden your knowledge of communications and the wider FCA
- Able to use Apple keynote and Adobe Spark
- HTML / CSS coding skills also welcome (although this is NOT a web designer role)
About the FCA
At the FCA, we’re creating a fair and more resilient financial system. We’re establishing more transparent relationships between financial services and their customers, building trust in financial markets and protecting vulnerable consumers.
The Design team is part of the FCA’s Editorial and Digital team which are part of the Communications Division. The team’s role is to ensure that we communicate in a clear, concise and constructive way. The Design team is responsible for the design of content for the FCA, which spans the FCA website, social media, branding and publications in a range of formats.
The FCA's Values & Diversity
Our ambition is to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the society we serve, helping us to be a better regulator.
As an inclusive employer, we are open to considering flexible working arrangements. Please contact our recruiter if you wish to apply for this role on a flexible basis.
- This role is graded as Associate, COM B
- The salary range will be approximately 25,000 to 35,000 GBP plus a competitive benefits package and non-contributory pension
- Applications for this role close on 23rd June 2019
If you are interested learning more about the role:
- For internal applications, contact Georgi Kostadinov on email@example.com
- external applications, contact Sarah Burgess via the Apply button.
Please note – Applications must be submitted through our online portal. Applications sent via email will not be accepted.