Designer, International Institute for Strategic Studies
(One-year fixed-term contract)
The IISS, the leading global think tank on international security affairs and conflict, has a one-year fixed-term contract vacancy for a full-time Designer, based at its central London headquarters.
The Institute has a large in-house Publications department to edit, design, publish and sell a suite of high-quality publications as well as content and data to support its valuable research. We are looking for an experienced designer to join our friendly, fast-paced team. You will be someone who enjoys creating accurate and eye-catching maps, graphics and layouts for print books and online products and be full of ideas for powerful infographics and data visualisation to bring our data to life.
- Designing and laying out a variety of full-colour and mono print and online publications, including the design of strong, commercial covers.
- Interpreting author briefs to come up with designs for bespoke maps and infographics for print and online publications.
- Swift, accurate picture research.
- Preparation of print-ready files and online publication of new product on our website.
- Design of other assets for the Institute such as Powerpoint presentations, launch slides and brochures.
- Degree, or equivalent qualification, in Design (essential).
- At least 5 years’ previous demonstrable experience in the design of publications and online content, and of preparing artwork for print (essential).
- At least 5 years’ previous demonstrable experience in the design and production of maps and infographics (essential).
- At least 5 years’ previous experience working with Adobe CS (essential).
- Experience with MS Office Suite (essential).
- A sharp eye for detail (essential).
- An understanding of how design contributes to making publications commercially successful (essential).
- Comfortable experimenting with and learning new software and online tools (desirable).
- Experience with a CMS (desirable).
- An understanding of international affairs or global military issues (desirable).
The post is a fixed-term (one-year) full time contract and will attract a salary in the region of £30,000 to £35,000 maximum, plus a benefits package that includes generous annual leave entitlement, private medial insurance and health cashback plan. More information about the IISS can be found at www.iiss.org.
To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter highlighting your experience and the skills you will bring to the IISS by email, citing ‘Designer Application’’ in the subject line to email@example.com. Please also title your application documents as follows: Full Name – CV, Full Name – Cover Letter. The closing date for receipt of applications is 10th April 2019. Interviews will be held week commencing 29th April 2019.
If you are shortlisted for interview you will be required to provide a portfolio of previous work in support of your application and there will be a short test of your design skills as part of the interview process.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the UK. Unfortunately, we will be unable to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Due to the expected volume of applications, only those applicants selected for interview will receive a reply following the acknowledgement email. The IISS is an equal opportunities employer.