Email and Comms Designer
Kano makes computer and coding kits for all ages, all over the world. Our mission is to empower a new generation to create with technology, not just consume it.
In the words of the press, Kano is "the creator of build-it-yourself tech for kids"(FastCo), "trains a generation to perceive the world as endlessly programmable"(Wired), and has "the potential to unshackle from the past and usher in a new world of computing”(Bloomberg).
Our system is based on simple steps, storytelling, and creative play. In just over three years, we’ve designed, built, sold, and shipped over 330,000 kits; our oldest maker is 81 years old, our youngest is 4, and all together, our community in 86 countries has used our step by step tools to create and share over 50 million lines of code. Kano is available in over 4,500 physical retail stores across the US, and our partners include Target, Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon, Toys”R”Us, Barnes & Noble, Indigo and Adafruit. Our products are used in over 3,000 code camps, schools and libraries worldwide, helping to change the face of education. Kano has raised $15m from the world’s best technology investors, including Marc Benioff, Index Ventures, Breyer Capital, Collaborative Fund, Jim O’Neill, James Higa & Troy Carter. Our fans and customers include tech luminaries like Steve Wozniak (co-founder Apple Computer), Jimmy Wales (founder Wikipedia), Marcus Persson (creator of Minecraft), and many more. Our most popular product is the Computer Kit, and in 2016 we launched three new products, to let all ages build and code cameras, speakers, sensors, and more.
Part of a growing team focussed on creative marketing, and e-commerce at Kano, you will be responsible for working with our Art Directors and Writers to create campaigns for all paid media, email and kano.me.
You will have an advertising or design agency background, happy working to tight deadlines, while turning around powerful comms that will speak to a new mainstream audience about Kano.
As a designer your attention to detail and craft are top quality. As an email designer you know how to effectively design, code and deploy emails that engage and inspire.
You are expected to reach a high level of comfort with the Kano aesthetic, voice and mission. Your portfolio reflects your ability to work in any and all mediums for a range of brands. In your creative arsenal you have basic but competent understanding or film editing, animation, photography, illustration. You are highly proficient in all expected design programs, but also bring some unexpected skills to the table.
You will be working directly with the Creative Director and VP Marketing.
- Work closely with Creatives and Product Teams to develop concepts and designs for all emails
- Work with Email Marketing Manager to design and execute strategic CRM creatives
- Deliver designs and assets for creative campaigns - in Paid Media, banners, film and across Kano.me
- Ensure consistency of email campaigns, that best represent the brand while optimised for conversion
- Design regular and seasonal campaigns and promos on kano.me
- Day to day UI designs on kano.me, and EDU pages, fixing issues
- Ensure all emails render in all email clients (using Litmus)
- Build and maintain a suite of HTML email templates within Adestra (email service provider)
- Work to tight deadlines
- Able to show working of designs from initial concepts to final versions
- Able to present ideas to relevant stakeholders
- Up to date with latest UI trends.
- Create prototypes using InVision
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations. Discovers and shares fantastic email and UI campaigns to learn from.
- Can deliver work to developer with clear instructions for design
- Ideally a background in digital comms and email design, both in an advertising agency and other start-up.
- Experience in design for Mobile.
- Experience in e-commerce.
- Confident in HTML email- rendering, bugs and potential workarounds, Confident in HTML and CSS programming languages for email.
- Proficient in Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, InVision and HTML editing software (e.g. Dreamweaver, Atom etc...).
- Basic knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Adobe After Effects Confident in building, coding, optimizing and deploying email marketing campaigns.
- A multi-tasker - be able to work on various campaigns for scoping out and delivering.
- Excellent in communication.
- Open to suggestions and not afraid to challenge or to be challenged.
- Experience A-B testing different creatives.
- Good knowledge in ESPs.
- Good knowledge in Front end development.
- Passionate about creative tech, computing and coding.
- Basic editing skills (Adobe Premiere, Framer) to realise better quality content for the site and marketing campaigns.
- Basic photographic skills.
- Work in a team that are building the next generation creative IoT products
- Play with new tech and gadgets to explore new avenues of innovation
- We give an annual benefits package which can be used as reimbursement for any form of personal and professional development
- You will be part of the company’s Stock Option plan
- Work with exceptional and diverse group of multinational people
- Informal, friendly and collaborative office environment
- Free lunches on Fridays