Position: Furniture Designer
Our client is increasingly becoming recognised on the world stage as leading specialists in the design and manufacture of auditorium and concourse seating. They work closely with the clients’ architects to adapt existing seat designs or develop completely new seat designs. With new management forging the next chapter and about 20 staff strong, they are seeking a Furniture Designer to join the team.
Responsibilities will include:
- Implementing products that at optimised from a design, engineering cost perspective
- Developing prototypes to validate the aesthetic and engineering principles
- Producing samples for client sign-off and testing by external test houses in-line with British and Internal Standards.
- The design of new furniture and mechanisms (e.g. tipping and folding systems) that integrate in auditorium seating
- Adapting existing designs to suit unique client requirements
- Working with architects, preparing optimised layouts of seats to meet legal, ergonomic and functional requirements
- Managing project work to ensure that the design cycle allows production targets to be met
- Liaising with manufacturers, with the potential for supplier visits
- Interacting with supplier and sub-contractors to ensure products to ensure products are delivered in-line with client expectations
- Willingness to visit sites, carry out site surveys and manage installation work
Person / Experience Required:
- Degree qualified in Industrial Design / Product Design or equivalent
- 2+ years’ experience in design and production engineering, ideally related to the furniture sector
- Excellent proficiency SolidWorks with PDM experience
- A practical knowledge of industrial manufacturing processes, engineering conventions particularly relating to welding, steel work, upholstery and traditional furniture production methods
- Commercially aware with the ability to critique solutions from a design and cost perspective
- Strong sketching, presentation and written communication skills
- Good project management skills including experience of MS project
- Good working knowledge of AutoCAD, KeyShot and MS Office 365
Please make sure that your full address and details are included in your application for this role.