Middleweight Designer – Print
Salary: Up to £28k (DoE)
Sub-sector: Creative, Media
Type: Full-time. Permanent
Location: North London
Closing date: 9th March 2018
The St James’s House Group is seeking a strong middleweight designer with experience in the print and publishing sector. We produce high-quality titles on behalf of prestigious organisations and for prominent events, as well as smaller-format printed materials, online content and e-publications. We specialise in illustrated non-fiction books in a wide range of subjects including art, architecture, British history and motoring, as well as the luxury sector. This is rare opportunity within a growing business for an experienced and motivated editorial designer to make a significant impact.
- Designing books from scratch – with a number of concepts to be presented to the client
- Developing book cover designs
- Preparing presentations to pitch designs to clients
- Working on bespoke contract titles for both existing and prospective clients
- Designing editorial and advertorial content to set templates over the course of a long-term project
- Working closely with the editorial team to make sure all content is sourced, designed and approved on deadline
- Checking image quality and retouching where necessary
- Detailed artworking, creating print-ready PDFs and checking proofs before press
- Working alongside the Senior Designer and Publishing Director to ensure all projects are produced to the highest standard
- Creating media packs that set the tone of a project, as well as designing promotional material for launch events.
Essential skills and experience
- Advanced knowledge of Creative Suite: InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- At least four years’ experience working on high-end books
- A very strong typographic eye with meticulous attention to detail
- A good knowledge of fonts and what families complement one another
- Good written English
- Ability to work well under pressure and to manage own workload
- Ability to sustain enthusiasm and work to a consistently high standard throughout the course of a long-term project
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to take direction on projects.
- Experience in writing print specifications as well as working with printers, web developers and other external suppliers
- Custom publishing experience
- Digital design expertise would be advantageous.
About the St James’s House Group
St James’s House is a world-leading creative publishing group with offices in the UK and the US, and works across the globe. With more than 700 clients worldwide and in-house design, editorial and distribution, St James’s House is well-positioned to enable any business to grow and prosper.
St James’s House was established 15 years ago and works with a wide range of prestigious public- and private-sector organisations such as The History of Parliament Trust, Institution of Civil Engineers, the CBI and the RAF, as well as the Rolls-Royce and Bentley clubs. This year is an exciting one for us as we publish Voice & Vote: Women’s Place in Parliament that celebrates 100 years of votes for women, and ICE 200 which marks the bi-centenary of the Institution of Civil Engineers by documenting 200 of the world’s most important design and engineering structures. We specialise in illustrated non-fiction, high-end coffee table books and as such are expert in our field. You can see some of our work here: www.stjamess.org
The group has recently acquired Black Dog Press, a specialist art, photography and fashion publisher, and Artifice Press who specialise in books on architecture. We are looking to expand our design team to work on publications across the group’s portfolio.
If you would like to be considered for this role, please send your PDF portfolio and CV, along with a covering letter, to email@example.com with “Middleweight designer application” in the subject line of your email.