Design Studio Manager
Reporting to the Creative Marketing Director, the Design Studio Manager will head up a small, but busy in-house Brand and Packaging Design Team. You will have experience of trafficking studio work, managing creative projects efficiently and managing employees. You will be able to allocate work to designers based on individuals’ strengths and skills. You will update the packaging design team work schedule regularly, keeping all departments informed about project status, and ensuring work is delivered to deadline.
You must have the ability to think creatively and have experience leading design projects from brief, to concept, through to delivery. You must be comfortable supervising, directing and supporting the members of the team. You will have a background in the creative industry with at least 5 years’ experience, working with FMCG brands across a range of media including packaging, catalogue and point of sale. An in-depth knowledge of print and digital processes is essential.
You'll have expert software knowledge in Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop with faultless attention to detail and great typography and layout skills. A methodical approach to artwork and file organisation is required to manage our large archive of creative assets and image libraries.
What Are We Looking For?
• Experience in project management, delegation, managing deadlines and setting expectations.
• Line management experience with ability to mentor.
• Advanced knowledge of Apple OSX and Adobe CC.
• Experience creating artworks for print, pre-press processes and production.
• Experience with typography and typesetting.
• Experience with photography and retouching images.
• Expertise in design principles including colour theory and grids.
• Basic understanding of the core Microsoft packages (Word, PPT, Excel)
What Are the Main Duties & Responsibilities?
• Manage production resources to enhance department productivity.
• Collaborate with other internal departments to meet deadlines.
• Schedule work for the Brand and Packaging Designers.
• Manage, mentor and appraise the Brand and Packaging Designers.
• Provide creative lead and art direction, and manage artwork sign-off.
• Work with the Creative Marketing Director and Copywriter to ensure quality levels and brand guidelines are adhered to across all communications.
• Design concepts, graphics, logos and layouts for FMCG product packaging, brochures, catalogues, adverts, leaflets & posters.
• Create print-ready artworks for delivery to press.
• Photography art direction, retouching and editing.
• Manage and upkeep creative assets and our archiving system.
• Liaise with printers, suppliers, customers and clients.
What Personal Qualities Do We Want?
• Exceptional creativity and innovation.
• Ability to prioritise, manage a number of tasks, and to work at a fast pace.
• Proven leadership skills.
• Ability to meet deadlines in a stressful environment, whilst motivating a team.
• Exceptional time management and organisational skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Accurate with great attention to detail.
• Flexible, positive and open-minded attitude with good people skills.
• Problem-solving skills.
• Keen interest in design trends.