Technical Director / Sr. Design Engineer
Technical Director / London / £50k (Negotiable) / Permanent
Skills: Design Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Interactive, Lighting, Manufacturing, Architecture, Prototyping, DFM, Modelling, Arduino, Project Management, Sketching
A world renowned multi-disciplinary team of architects, designers, engineers and fabricators are looking for a highly creative Technical Director. This London based studio is an industry leader in creating interactive spaces and surfaces that sit between the world of architecture, site specific installation art and interaction design. The team comprises of experienced architects, artists, lighting designers, industrial designers and visualisers as well as specialists in electronics, programming and project management.
The successful candidate will work closely with the entire team, contributing to the creative design process and well as providing mechanical and technical solutions to design problems. This role requires a highly experimental approach, with a strong emphasis on technology and you will be able to translate design ideas in to engineered solutions, producing various interactive artworks, installations and exhibitions.
THE TECHNICAL DIRECTOR ROLE
- Work alongside the Design Director to manage the business of 20 people.
- Responsible for the studios finances, planning, strategy and creative vision.
- Write project proposals including scope, timings and fees.
- Ensure the studio maintains an interest in emerging trends and technologies.
- Manage and develop the internal technical team, provide leadership and direction to the wider team as well as identify and manage partners, acting as an advisor.
- Uncover and overcome the technical problems within projects and ensure that all design work is completed to agreed deadlines and standards.
- Use understanding of technology and materials to deliver complex projects.
- Manage the development of prototypes and technologies both internally and externally.
ABOUT THE TECHNICAL DIRECTOR
- Educated with a relevant degree.
- A problem solver with a background in design and engineering
- Project Management experience, idea conceptualisation through to delivery.
- Skills required in Adobe Creative Suite.
- A balanced understanding of the creative and technical stages of projects.
- Experience working with artists, agencies and brands on projects all over the world.
- Experience of Lighting, mechatronics interactive artworks and exhibitions.
- Electronics experience, Arduino and processing sketching.
- Good communication skills and experience of dealing with manufacturers and suppliers.
- Experience of working in film, art, event production, advertising or fabrication.