Graphic Designer (Junior to Midweight)
Job/role title: Graphic Designer (Junior to Midweight)
Reporting to: Brand and Marketing Manager
Location: WS Offices, Paddington, London
World Sailing is the world governing body for the sport of sailing, officially recognised by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
World Sailing is responsible for:
- the promotion of the sport internationally;
- managing sailing at the Olympic and Paralympic Games;
- developing the Racing Rules of Sailing and regulations for all sailing competitions;
- the training of judges, umpires and other administrators;
- the development of the sport around the world; and
- representing the sailors in all matters concerning the sport.
The principle members of World Sailing are the 145 'Member National Authorities' (MNAs) and the 100+ 'Class Associations'.
We have a clear and ambitious vision:
A world in which millions more people fall in love with sailing; inspired by the unique relationship between sport, technology and the forces of nature, we all work to protect the waters of the world.
To make sailing more exciting and accessible for everyone to participate or watch, and use our reach and influence to create a sustainable future for our sport and the waters of the world.
Following a name change to World Sailing, from International Sailing Federation (ISAF), at the end of 2015, very little was done to develop the brand beyond a new logo. In the second half of 2016, World Sailing commissioned an external Creative agency to develop the overall brand identity, resulting in a much stronger visual identity for the brand that better reflects World Sailing’s role as the authority in the Sailing world. A brand hierarchy and a comprehensive set of brand guidelines have been created, and the identity has been executed across varied requirements. World Sailing is still very much at the beginning of this journey of bringing the brand to life across all communications, with major projects in the planning for 2017, 2018 and beyond, including a completely new web platform and creation of event apps.
The organisation has ambitious plans for the future. This role is a brilliant opportunity for an individual who wants to work across a variety of projects and who wants to make their mark as the Commercial and Marketing team work to change the face of World Sailing and the sport of Sailing at large.
- To execute and maintain World Sailing’s brand identity across a host of internal and external requirements in print, digital, social, film, events and environment. This could be anything from basic templates and presentations, to fan engagement campaigns and website design.
- To hold the responsibility of ‘Brand Guardian’; setting the standards, promoting the importance of ’Brand’ and guiding other stakeholders in their use of the brand identity and World Sailing assets. This will also include ensuring World Sailing partner assets are also used correctly.
- To provide creative input and advice on a varying range of projects.
- To contribute to creative planning and creation of events, with a particular focus on event presentation and stakeholder engagement (whether it be user, fan, sponsor, athlete etc.)
- To maintain the World Sailing asset libraries and brand identity folders.
This is a role that will require a broad skill set in design across varied formats, as well as great communication skills. You will be working with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders.
A big part of this role will be about building and maintaining consistency and quality across all communications and marketing requirements. This is not a role for a designer who only wants to do the ‘big, exciting stuff’; you need to be happy doing the business-as-usual stuff too, especially as it is early days in the execution of the new brand identity. Initial requirements will involve creating toolkits, templates and manuals, introducing processes and standards for design execution.
You need to be comfortable working at all ends of the design spectrum, from artworking to more conceptual design, from standard templates to strategic presentations, from online to branding environments.
You will work very closely with the Brand and Marketing Manager as well as with the wider Commercial team to create inspiring communications and events that engage current and new audiences. You will also work closely with external partners to deliver against special requirements, ie. a new website.
The nature of World Sailing’s remit and the sheer volume of events in any given year means that there will be aspects of multi-tasking and ad hoc requirements, and a can-do attitude to getting work done is essential.
This role is perfect for an individual who is efficient and organised, has great listening skills and attention to detail, and is an excellent team player with a good sense of humour. Additionally, it is a role where you can develop, putting in place the foundations of the World Sailing brand identity, and then building on this, whilst learning from experienced colleagues and external agency partners.
Relationships & Interfaces
Strategic reporting to:
- Line Manager – Brand and Marketing Manager
Support & Guidance to:
- Digital/Social/Comms team
- World Sailing staff
- Stakeholders in sailing community using World Sailing brand eg. MNAs, classes, event hosts
Personal Attributes & Experience
- Relevant design degree or course
- Minimum 2 years experience in designer role
- Firm understanding of all aspects of design delivery, for print and digital applications
- Excellent working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, particularly InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- An interest in producing transformative brand experiences, online and offline
- Excellent layout skills and diligent when creating artwork
- Asset library management
- Experience working closely with external partners, eg. creative agency, web developer
- A track record for meeting and exceeding goals within strict timeframes
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and in writing
- Attention to detail is essential
- Ability to work under pressure
- Able to maintain good relationships across the board
- Languages: good written & verbal English (official language of World Sailing)
- Experience of working within the design environment in sports
- Full driving license
- Photography and videography skills
- Experience in branding environments / events
To apply for this position, please click the Apply button.
Please provide a CV, portfolio and an accompanying cover letter introducing yourself and explaining your interest in the role.